Connect with us

Nigeria Breaking News

Five die in car crash

Published

on

aaccident

The Kogi State Government has launched an investigation into the causes of the death of five of its citizens whose car plunged into a canal in the state on Friday.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, made this known in a statement issued in Lokoja on Monday.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that five Kogi citizens got drowned on Friday when the car in which they were traveling plunged into the canal of Omi Dam along River Niger in the Yagba West Local Government Area of the state.

Only one of the five occupants of the car escaped death as he reportedly swam to safety, aided by a good Samaritan, a fisherman, who unfortunately got drowned.

Among the dead were three ladies and two men, including the fisherman.

Fanwo said the state government received the sad news of the death of the deceased with shock and disbelief, hence its resolve to look into the causes of the mishap.

The statement read, “The Kogi State Government under the leadership of Alhaji Yahaya Bello has since launched investigations into the circumstances leading to the unfortunate incident.

“We are willing and ready to cooperate with the Lower Niger River Basin Development Authority to improve the safety of people working around the canal and passengers travelling along the routes around the canals.

“We cannot afford to lose the lives of our citizens to such avoidable deaths.”

The commissioner added that the state government had already received preliminary reports from the Yagba West Local Government authorities.

“We will communicate our observations and recommendations to the authorities of the LNRBDA to avert future occurrence.

“Our hearts are with the families that lost their loved ones and the people of Yagba West and Yagba East Local Government Areas over the unfortunate and sad accident,” he added.

In other news – Dbanj causes stir on social media

A video of popular Nigerian singer, Dbanj, stepping out in a crop top has gotten tongues wagging. Dbanj has set a new fashion trend among his colleagues but many netizens are not having it.

In the video clip, he walked majestically before he twirled for the camera. However, his choice of outfit has left tongues wagging among netizens. Learn More

Nigeria Breaking News

INEC fixes date for Saki rerun election

Published

on

INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has fixed Saturday, 3rd February, 2024, as the date for the conduct of a rerun election in two polling units in Saki West State Constituency, Oyo State House of Assembly. INEC made this declaration via a statement issued by the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Dr. Rahman Adeniran Tella.

The REC in the statement made available to DAILY POST on Wednesday, said that the conduct of the rerun election was in compliance with court order.Tella said the affected polling units include, Odo-osun 007 in Ogidigbo area and Ogbalanja polling unit 019 in Sepeteri/Bapon registration area.

The REC said only eligible voters with permanent voters’ card (PVC) who registered in the two affected areas would be qualified to vote during the rerun.

He added that the Biomodel Accreditation System (BVAS) would be deployed for the exercise. He urged the candidates for the election to begin campaigns immediately

Source: Naija News

In other news – Peter Obi, Sowore wouldn’t have ended suffering experienced under Tinubu – Daddy Freeze

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze has said the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, and his counterpart from African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, might not have ended the sufferings Nigerians are experiencing under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

 

He, however, noted that a younger president like Sowore or Obi would have attracted more investments to Nigeria unlike Tinubu’s administration. Read more

Continue Reading

Nigeria Breaking News

Peter Obi, Sowore wouldn’t have ended suffering experienced under Tinubu – Daddy Freeze

Published

on

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze has said the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, and his counterpart from African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, might not have ended the sufferings Nigerians are experiencing under President Bola Tinubu’s administration. He, however, noted that a younger president like Sowore or Obi would have attracted more investments to Nigeria unlike Tinubu’s administration.

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

Addressing his followers on Instagram, he said Sowore or Obi’s presidency would have done better than Tinubu’s government.According to Freeze: “I supported Omoyele Sowore and I know a lot of youths supported Peter Obi; they probably would have to do the same thing that this government is doing. The only difference is that they would have served as the anaesthesia while this economic surge is going on.

“The youths were more connected to people like Peter Obi and what did they stand to gain from him? They would believe that whatever he is doing is in their best interest.

“The suffering might not have been anyway better, the only thing I believe is that a younger president like Omoyele Sowore or Peter Obi will gain the confidence of Nigerians in Diaspora who want to invest in the country.

“The confidence many youths would have given Peter Obi or Omoyele Sowore is what is lacking in this government.

Source: BBC

In other news – Anambra govt officials visit markets as campaign to end sit-at-home begins

The Anambra State Government has begun a campaign to end the infamous sit-at-home order which has crippled business activities in the state every Monday.

 

Anambra State Government

In the latest move, government officials serving in the Governor Chukwuma Soludo administration have been deployed to various markets to boost the confidence of traders and to encourage them to open their shops. Read more

Continue Reading

Nigeria Breaking News

Anambra govt officials visit markets as campaign to end sit-at-home begins

Published

on

Anambra State Government

The Anambra State Government has begun a campaign to end the infamous sit-at-home order which has crippled business activities in the state every Monday. In the latest move, government officials serving in the Governor Chukwuma Soludo administration have been deployed to various markets to boost the confidence of traders and to encourage them to open their shops.

Chief of Staff to the Governor, Mr Ernest Ezeajughi; Special Adviser on Trade and Markets, Chief Evarist Uba; and his Security counterpart, AVM Ben Chiobi Rtd. on Monday, moved round major markets in the state on the mission.Addressing market leaders in Awka, Ezeajughi, who led the team, told traders who opened their shops to encourage others to do same.

“Government has decided to provide maximum security across markets and had concluded arrangements with financial institutions across the state to open for business as well.

“Government will do everything possible to ensure full return of business on Mondays is achieved.

“We warn any market leadership that would sabotage the government’s present efforts towards achieving a boosted economic growth and stability to take caution because they will be seriously sanctioned,” he said.

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, NSCDC, Anambra State Command, had previously stated that operatives have been deployed to banks to safeguard them.

Source: Dailypost

In other news – Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu worked against APC in 2023

Alhaji Kehinde Olaosebikan, a former Chief Press Secretary to former governor of Oyo State, Alhaji Lamidi Onanolapo Adesina, has said the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, worked against the All Progressives Congress, APC, during the 2023 presidential election. Olaosebikan said this in a statement on his Facebook page at the weekend.

Adebayo Adelabu

 

Adelabu, who was the gubernatorial candidate of Accord in 2023, is the minister representing Oyo State in Tinubu’s cabinetOlaosebikan. Read more

Continue Reading

Trending