Islamic State says it kidnapped Red Cross staff in Nigeria
The Islamic State (IS) militant group has claimed it has kidnapped a Red Cross employee in Nigeria’s north-eastern Borno State on Tuesday.
In a brief statement on Wednesday, the group said the aid worker was taken at a fake checkpoint on the road linking the towns of Kareto and Gubio in Borno.
It gave no details about the purported abductee’s identity nor made a demand or threat.
So far, no mainstream media reports have been observed on this alleged incident. The Red Cross Society has also not commented.
IS had declared war on aid agencies in Africa in August and its leadership reiterated the message in October, accusing humanitarian workers of implementing anti-Islam agendas.
IS released its latest claim via its account on the messaging app RocketChat. The alleged attack comes a day after another Islamist militant group, Boko Haram, claimed responsibility for an attack on 28 November that killed dozens of farmers in Borno.
The two jihadist groups are active in north-east Nigeria and the Lake Chad region.
In other news – List of Actors living with chronic illness
The following Mzansi stars have come out and opened up about the illnesses they are fighting in their lives, which is the greatest thing to do as it encourages others in society to embrace whatever that would have befallen them. Learn more