The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) Special Tribunal will on Monday hear a review application in the matter between former SABC chief operations officer, Hlaudi Motsoeneng and the public broadcaster.
The SABC and the SIU are seeking to recover R2.5 million that Motsoeneng and former executives paid some musicians in royalties in 2016.
The two parties want the decision to award R50 000 to each of the 53 musicians set aside and declared invalid. Motsoeneng, who is opposing the application, has argued that the decision was made to financially empower the struggling musicians.
The musicians who have applied to join the tribunal have also said Motsoeneng should not repay the money. Motsoeneng ordered to pay back R11.5 million to SABC
Motsoeneng said he will appeal a Johannesburg High Court ruling in December last year that he should repay R11.5 million to the public broadcaster with interest.
Motsoaneng was said to have been paid the staggering amount for brokering a deal with MultiChoice for broadcast rights, including access to the SABC archives. He was also instructed to pay 15.5% interest dating back to 2016.
This comes after the South Gauteng High Court declared the payment made to Motsoeneng unlawful and invalid. In an interview with SABC News, he said he has not paid back the money, insisting that the money was given to him on merit.
In other news – Somizi drags Mohale to the high court as divorce gets ugly
It never rains but pours for Mohale Motaung as Somizi Mhlongo turns to the High Court to serve justice in their much-talked-about depending divorce.
In recent months their divorce has been dupped as the Mohale heist after the celebrated media personality quits with Idols SA judge Somizi barely a year after their colourful wedding. Learn more