Potato Salad Recipe
This potato salad recipe is perfect for picnics and barbecues! A creamy, tangy dressing coats tender potatoes, fresh herbs, and crunchy veggies.
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
2 celery stalks, diced
½ cup diced red onions
2 tablespoons capers
4 red radishes, halved and thinly sliced, reserve some for garnish
⅓ cup chopped chives, reserve some for garnish
2 to 4 tablespoons fresh dill, optional
¼ teaspoon celery seed, optional
¾ cup plain whole-milk Greek yoghurt
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by about 1-inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes, set them aside to cool to room temperature, then transfer them to a large bowl.
Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, turmeric, if using, and several grinds of pepper. Note: this will taste strong and salty at this step; it’ll balance once it’s mixed with the potatoes.
Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir to coat. Stir in the celery, red onions, capers, radishes, chives, and dill and celery seed, if using. Season to taste and garnish with the reserved radishes and chives.
Best Potato Salad Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this potato salad recipe:
– Potatoes, of course! Look for Yukon Gold or yellow potatoes. Their creamy texture makes them perfect for this potato salad recipe.
– Celery – It offers a delicious crunchy contrast to the creamy dressing and potatoes, and it infuses the salad with savoury flavour.
– Radishes and red onion – For extra colour and crunch.
– Capers – Many classic potato salad recipes call for dill pickles or sweet pickles, but I love using capers instead. They add a punch of briny flavour to the salad.
– Dill, chives, and celery seed – Deepen the salad’s savoury flavour.
– And the dressing – It’s creamy, tangy, and bright, made with Greek yoghurt, mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper. You can also stir in turmeric for colour, but it’s completely optional. The salad still tastes great without it!
How to Make Potato Salad
This potato salad recipe couldn’t be simpler to make! Here’s how it goes:
– First, chop the potatoes. Try to cut them to a similar size, into about 1/2-inch chunks, so that they cook evenly.
– Next, cook them. Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot, and cover them with one inch of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
– While the potatoes cool, whisk together the dressing. If you try it on its own, it will taste strong and salty. – – Don’t worry! The flavour will balance when it’s poured over the starchy potatoes.
– Finally, pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir in the remaining ingredients. Season to taste. That’s it!
source – cooking365coza