Traditionally, the sauce for fettuccini Alfredo (called fettuccine al burro in Italy and popularized by chef Alfredo di Lelio) is only made with butter. But we’ve found that heavy cream, which tastes absolutely heavenly, is easier to work with and without any danger of the dish tasting too dry.
– 1 lb. fettuccine
– 3 tbsp. butter
– 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
– 1 c. shredded Parmesan, plus more for garnish
– Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or thyme, for garnish
* In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water before draining.
* Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add cream and stir until mixture begins to bubble and thicken, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cheese and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
* Remove from heat, add pasta and stir until coated (If necessary, add cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thin the sauce and help it coat.) Serve immediately garnished with parsley or thyme.
source – cooking365coza