Indian lentil and egg curry recipe
On the table in 40 minutes, this Indian vegetarian curry is loaded with lentils, spinach and creamy eggs. Use the roti to mop up all those delicious flavours.
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 brown onion, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
– 10 fresh curry leaves
– 2 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– 400g can diced tomatoes
– 3/4 cup Massel vegetable liquid stock
– 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
– 100g baby spinach
– 4 hard-boiled eggs, halved
– Warm roti bread, to serve
– Natural yoghurt, to serve
– 1/2 cup shredded coconut
– 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
– 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
4 Method / Steps
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute. Add cumin and ground coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, stock and lentils to the pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until the curry has thickened slightly. Add spinach. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add hard-boiled eggs. Simmer for 1 minute or until heated through.
Meanwhile, make Coconut sambal: combine coconut, chilli, fresh coriander and lemon juice in a small bowl.
Sprinkle curry with coconut sambal. Serve with roti bread and yoghurt.
source – cooking365