Taco night can still go ahead even if you’re wanting to eat healthily or are following a low-cal diet. Even gluten-free eaters can get involved! This delicious beef and lentil taco recipe (created by our expert nutritionist) is packed with vegetables and full of goodness.
* 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 red onion, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 tsp smoked paprika
* 2 tsp ground cumin
* 300g lean beef mince
* 2 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
* 400g can of no-added-salt brown lentils, rinsed, drained
* 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, deseeded, finely chopped
* 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
* 1 long fresh green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
* 2 baby gem lettuce, thinly shredded
* 8 small gluten-free corn tortillas, chargrilled
4 Method / Steps
Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, paprika and cumin. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
Increase heat to high. Add beef. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir through 185ml (3/4 cup) water until combined. Add the lentils and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
Meanwhile, combine tomato, capsicum, chilli, lime juice and remaining onion and oil. Season. Toss until combined.
Divide the taco mixture, lettuce and salsa among tortillas to serve.
source – cooking365coza