Healthy apricot chicken recipe
Revamp traditional apricot chicken with this nutritious, reduced-fat and high-fibre recipe.
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 600g skinless chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
* 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
* 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
* 2 carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
* 125ml (1/2 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
* 250ml (1 cup) apricot nectar
* 35g (1/4 cup) chopped dried apricots
* 400g can Coles Cannellini Beans, drained, rinsed
* Steamed snow peas, to serve
* Broccolini, to serve
3 Method / Steps
Preheat oven to 170C/ 150C fan-forced. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Cook the chicken, in 2 batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining oil in the same dish over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Return chicken to the dish. Stir in the mustard, stock, apricot nectar and dried apricots and bring to a boil. Cover dish with a lid or foil.
Bake for 40 minutes, adding cannellini beans for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Serve with steamed snow peas and broccolini.
source – cooking365.co.za