A South African family favourite with our secret ingredient loved by all – Mrs Balls Chutney
– 30ml sunflower oil
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 30ml cake wheat flour
– 30ml barbeque spice
– 500g lean beef mince
– 350ml water
– 45ml Mrs Balls Chutney
– 125g fresh brown mushrooms, sliced
– 125g frozen corn
– 125g frozen peas
– 30ml Parsley, chopped
– 8 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
– Sea Salt
– 30g butter or margarine
– 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
– 5ml English mustard
– 3ml baking powder
– 60ml low-fat milk
– Preheat the oven to 200 ºC.
– Sauté onion in oil until soft. Stir in flour, barbecue Spice and beef mince. Cook over low heat until mince changes colour.
– Gradually add water, chutney, mushrooms and corn, then cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Add peas and parsley and allow to heat through.
Topping: Meanwhile, boil the potatoes. As soon as they’re cooked, drain and mash them in the pot while still steaming hot.
– Beat in the seasoning, butter or margarine, cheese, mustard, baking powder and enough milk to give a creamy texture.
– Place the meat and sauce in a greased ovenproof dish. Cover with the potato topping. Spread with a knife to create peaks. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Hints & Tips
A great dish to freeze. Cool to room temperature, cover with SPAR plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: defrost completely and then warm in the oven at 180 ºC for 30 minutes or until heated through.
source – cooking365coza