Connect with us

Nigeria Breaking News

Mother protests as principal brutalises 14-year-old student

Published

on

Court

The mother of a Senior Secondary School student, Mrs. Becky Folorunso, has cried out for justice after the Principal of Pholex Private School, Ebute-Meta in Lagos, allegedly brutalized her son for not writing class notes.

In an interview with PUNCH Metro on Friday, Folorunso said that was not the first time her son, Adam, would be flogged in such a manner by the principal, Adewale Adetona.

Bruises suspected to be from whips could be seen on the boy’s back from pictures made available to our correspondent.

The troubled mother said while she had scolded her son and warned him to be writing his class notes, beating her child to that extent was uncalled for.

She called on relevant authorities of the Lagos State Government, particularly the State Universal Basic Education Board to intervene in the matter.

Folorunso said, “He is a playful son, but he is not a bad boy. He came home a few days ago and told me ‘Mummy, this beating is too much.’ He showed me his back and I saw bruises. But not like this very one. He said it was because he did not write one note. I scolded him and warned him to always write his notes.

“But when he came home on Thursday, May 25, he cried, ‘Mummy, I can’t take this any longer.’ When he removed his uniform and showed me his back, I was shocked and asked what happened to him. He said it was because he did not complete his Social Studies notes.”

She said her son told the principal to check well, but he wouldn’t listen to him. She said the principal began flogging the boy. “I heard he (the principal) said he knew me, but knowing me doesn’t mean he should kill my child,” the mother said.

Continuing, Folorunso recalled that she had been planning to withdraw the boy from the school following tales of alleged inhuman treatment being meted out to students before the incident.

“I didn’t know about all these stories before we registered him. How can they be running a private learning environment as if it is a public school where things like this go unpunished?” she queried.

When contacted, the school principal, Adetona, said he did not beat the child unjustly.

Speaking with our correspondent via a phone call on Friday, he said he was checking all the students’ notes to know some of them who were not writing up to date.

Adetona said, “I am a parent, I don’t beat unjustly. I know the mother very well. I noticed the boy doesn’t have a note at all. I just resumed the office (in the school) not quite long (ago). I’m searching their entire notes one after the other to know those that are not doing well. Several complaints (have) come from teachers and several warnings asking the boy to change.

“I had to beat him yesterday (Thursday). I have been warning them for over two weeks to go and update their notes.”

He said the last time the boy brought his school fees, he was the one that gave him N500 to go and pay through the Point of Sale machine so that he would not lose the money while trying to go to the bank. “I would not beat him unjustly,” he reiterated.

On his part, the school’s proprietor, Mr. Foluso Akomolafe, condemned the beating of the student and apologized to the mother.

He said although the boy was not writing notes, there were other means to discipline a student.

“He (the principal) warned him (the student) that he shouldn’t do that again, that he must make sure he copies notes,” Akomolafe added, saying the school fee paid by the parents was like a waste if the student was not writing notes.

“I blamed the principal. As much as you are trying to correct the boy, you should always take it easy with them, they are children. Whatever corrective measures you want to put in place, you shouldn’t be flogging,” the proprietor told PUNCH Metro.

Suggesting other ways to discipline a student, he said the student could be punished or suspended instead of flogging such a child.

“What the boy did was bad but then he could be asked to kneel or invite the parent. He was sorry about it and apologized to the mother.

“The school does not permit flogging because the Lagos State Government does not want us to flog any child, no matter the offense. We don’t support flogging. He (the principal) is a new person and had barely spent a month or two with us,” he added.

In other news – A woman dies after hearing news of her son’s death

An unidentified woman has taken her last breath after hearing the news of her son’s death. The late son, identified as Christian Ugbede Abuka, was said to have died in an auto crash while returning home from Kwara State where he had gone for his National Youth Service Corps documentation.

The deceased elder brother, Joseph Abuka, confirmed the news on his Facebook page. Abuka said their mother died on hearing that Christain had died. Learn More

Nigeria Breaking News

INEC fixes date for Saki rerun election

Published

on

INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has fixed Saturday, 3rd February, 2024, as the date for the conduct of a rerun election in two polling units in Saki West State Constituency, Oyo State House of Assembly. INEC made this declaration via a statement issued by the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Dr. Rahman Adeniran Tella.

The REC in the statement made available to DAILY POST on Wednesday, said that the conduct of the rerun election was in compliance with court order.Tella said the affected polling units include, Odo-osun 007 in Ogidigbo area and Ogbalanja polling unit 019 in Sepeteri/Bapon registration area.

The REC said only eligible voters with permanent voters’ card (PVC) who registered in the two affected areas would be qualified to vote during the rerun.

He added that the Biomodel Accreditation System (BVAS) would be deployed for the exercise. He urged the candidates for the election to begin campaigns immediately

Source: Naija News

In other news – Peter Obi, Sowore wouldn’t have ended suffering experienced under Tinubu – Daddy Freeze

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze has said the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, and his counterpart from African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, might not have ended the sufferings Nigerians are experiencing under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

 

He, however, noted that a younger president like Sowore or Obi would have attracted more investments to Nigeria unlike Tinubu’s administration. Read more

Continue Reading

Nigeria Breaking News

Peter Obi, Sowore wouldn’t have ended suffering experienced under Tinubu – Daddy Freeze

Published

on

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze has said the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, and his counterpart from African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, might not have ended the sufferings Nigerians are experiencing under President Bola Tinubu’s administration. He, however, noted that a younger president like Sowore or Obi would have attracted more investments to Nigeria unlike Tinubu’s administration.

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

Addressing his followers on Instagram, he said Sowore or Obi’s presidency would have done better than Tinubu’s government.According to Freeze: “I supported Omoyele Sowore and I know a lot of youths supported Peter Obi; they probably would have to do the same thing that this government is doing. The only difference is that they would have served as the anaesthesia while this economic surge is going on.

“The youths were more connected to people like Peter Obi and what did they stand to gain from him? They would believe that whatever he is doing is in their best interest.

“The suffering might not have been anyway better, the only thing I believe is that a younger president like Omoyele Sowore or Peter Obi will gain the confidence of Nigerians in Diaspora who want to invest in the country.

“The confidence many youths would have given Peter Obi or Omoyele Sowore is what is lacking in this government.

Source: BBC

In other news – Anambra govt officials visit markets as campaign to end sit-at-home begins

The Anambra State Government has begun a campaign to end the infamous sit-at-home order which has crippled business activities in the state every Monday.

 

Anambra State Government

In the latest move, government officials serving in the Governor Chukwuma Soludo administration have been deployed to various markets to boost the confidence of traders and to encourage them to open their shops. Read more

Continue Reading

Nigeria Breaking News

Anambra govt officials visit markets as campaign to end sit-at-home begins

Published

on

Anambra State Government

The Anambra State Government has begun a campaign to end the infamous sit-at-home order which has crippled business activities in the state every Monday. In the latest move, government officials serving in the Governor Chukwuma Soludo administration have been deployed to various markets to boost the confidence of traders and to encourage them to open their shops.

Chief of Staff to the Governor, Mr Ernest Ezeajughi; Special Adviser on Trade and Markets, Chief Evarist Uba; and his Security counterpart, AVM Ben Chiobi Rtd. on Monday, moved round major markets in the state on the mission.Addressing market leaders in Awka, Ezeajughi, who led the team, told traders who opened their shops to encourage others to do same.

“Government has decided to provide maximum security across markets and had concluded arrangements with financial institutions across the state to open for business as well.

“Government will do everything possible to ensure full return of business on Mondays is achieved.

“We warn any market leadership that would sabotage the government’s present efforts towards achieving a boosted economic growth and stability to take caution because they will be seriously sanctioned,” he said.

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, NSCDC, Anambra State Command, had previously stated that operatives have been deployed to banks to safeguard them.

Source: Dailypost

In other news – Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu worked against APC in 2023

Alhaji Kehinde Olaosebikan, a former Chief Press Secretary to former governor of Oyo State, Alhaji Lamidi Onanolapo Adesina, has said the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, worked against the All Progressives Congress, APC, during the 2023 presidential election. Olaosebikan said this in a statement on his Facebook page at the weekend.

Adebayo Adelabu

 

Adelabu, who was the gubernatorial candidate of Accord in 2023, is the minister representing Oyo State in Tinubu’s cabinetOlaosebikan. Read more

Continue Reading

Trending