Low-calorie chicken tikka masala recipe
It takes just 10 minutes to prep this tasty low-calorie chicken tikka masala. A portion of this dish is just 217 calories per serving.
This low-calorie curry has a rich masala sauce made from curry paste, 0% fat yoghurt, passata, and coconut cream. Packed with onion, red pepper, and tender chunks of chicken breast. This recipe serves four to six people. If you serve four big portions, the calories for each serving will increase to 326 cals, which is still low as far as low-calorie meals go.
– 2tbsps tikka masala curry paste
– 170g tub 0% fat yoghurt
– 3 chicken breasts (500g) each cut into 5-6 chunks
– Spray oil for cooking
– 1 large onion, sliced
– 1 red pepper, sliced
– 350g ready prepared diced butternut squash
– 300ml passata
– 160ml reduced-fat coconut milk
– A handful of fresh coriander
– 200g basmati rice
* Mix half the curry paste with all but 2 tbsps of the yoghurt and a pinch of salt. Add the chicken, coat well and leave to marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
* Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Heat the baking tray in the oven. Wipe the marinade off the chicken and bake for 12-14 mins, until it’s beginning to char.
* Add 8 sprays of oil to a pan with the onion, cover and cook over medium heat for 5-8 mins. Add the pepper, squash and the rest of the curry paste. Cook for 5 mins.
* Pour in the passata and coconut cream and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 mins. Add the chicken and simmer over low heat for 5 mins, until the meat is tender. Stir in the rest of the yoghurt and the coriander. Serve with rice. For the rice: Cook 200g jasmine or basmati rice as per pack instructions with a few lightly crushed cardamom pods.
Top tips for making low-calorie chicken tikka masala
Swap the chicken breast for tofu or Quorn for an even lower fat and calorie option – it will also make it suitable for vegetarians too. As this recipe is low in carbs too, it’s part of our low carb recipes collection.
source – cooking365coza