Connect with us

Nigeria Breaking News

Court orders DSS to pay Abuja driver N5m over unlawful detention

Published

on

DSS

A Federal High Court in Abuja has imposed a fine of N5 million on the Department of State Services, DSS, over the unlawful arrest and detention of an Abuja-based commercial driver, Sanusi Shuaib.

The court ordered that the N5 million must be paid to the detainee while it also ordered the DSS to immediately release him having held him in detention without trial since January 16, 2023.

Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon in a judgment on Thursday held that the DSS flagrantly flouted Section 35 of the country’s Constitution which prohibited detention of any Nigerian beyond a maximum period of 48 hours without an order of CourtThe Judge said the DSS, on March 29 last year, got an order of the Federal High Court to hold and detain the driver for only 20 days to investigate and charge him to court if indicted for any criminal matters.

The court said since the DSS did not apply to the court for extension of the 20 days detention period and also did not charge him to court for any offence, any detention outside the 20 days was unlawful, illegal, unconstitutional and null and void.

The detained driver had, through his lawyer, Bala Dakum, dragged the DSS before the court to challenge his detention without trial since his arrest on March 16 last year.

He claimed that the DSS, upon arrest, accused him of being in possession of firearms for some terrorists and had since remained in the custody of the respondent.

The applicant prayed for his release and a N50 million compensation for the unlawful detention. Justice Olajuwon in the judgment agreed that the fundamental rights of the applicant to freedom of movement had been breached by the DSS.

He faulted the claim of the DSS that it was granted six months to detain the driver adding that what the court granted was just 20 days.

Justice Olajuwon also disagreed with the DSS that the detainee had been moved to a military detention facility in Gwa gwa, Niger State, for trial in terrorism offences, adding that there was no evidence to that effect placed before the court.

The Judge also faulted the claim of the security agency that the Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice gave approval for the trial of the driver.

Justice Olajuwon, who quoted the letter of the AGF, said that the AGF office only recommended that fresh investigation be conducted into the allegations against the driver but which was never done.

The Judge, therefore, nullified the continued detention of the driver and ordered his immediate release from the DSS custody in Abuja.

Source: SABC

In other news – Northern elders kick against mass transfer of CBN staff to Lagos

The Northern Elders Forum, NEF, has cautioned the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, against relocating some key departments from Abuja to Lagos State, stressing that such movement would lead to brain drain.

Central Bank of Nigeria

NEF said such a movement would lead to a temporary disruption in CBN’s operations that could negatively impact the bank’s performance and efficiency. Read more

Nigeria Breaking News

INEC fixes date for Saki rerun election

Published

on

INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has fixed Saturday, 3rd February, 2024, as the date for the conduct of a rerun election in two polling units in Saki West State Constituency, Oyo State House of Assembly. INEC made this declaration via a statement issued by the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Dr. Rahman Adeniran Tella.

The REC in the statement made available to DAILY POST on Wednesday, said that the conduct of the rerun election was in compliance with court order.Tella said the affected polling units include, Odo-osun 007 in Ogidigbo area and Ogbalanja polling unit 019 in Sepeteri/Bapon registration area.

The REC said only eligible voters with permanent voters’ card (PVC) who registered in the two affected areas would be qualified to vote during the rerun.

He added that the Biomodel Accreditation System (BVAS) would be deployed for the exercise. He urged the candidates for the election to begin campaigns immediately

Source: Naija News

In other news – Peter Obi, Sowore wouldn’t have ended suffering experienced under Tinubu – Daddy Freeze

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze has said the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, and his counterpart from African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, might not have ended the sufferings Nigerians are experiencing under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

 

He, however, noted that a younger president like Sowore or Obi would have attracted more investments to Nigeria unlike Tinubu’s administration. Read more

Continue Reading

Nigeria Breaking News

Peter Obi, Sowore wouldn’t have ended suffering experienced under Tinubu – Daddy Freeze

Published

on

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze has said the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi, and his counterpart from African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, might not have ended the sufferings Nigerians are experiencing under President Bola Tinubu’s administration. He, however, noted that a younger president like Sowore or Obi would have attracted more investments to Nigeria unlike Tinubu’s administration.

Nigerian media personality Daddy Freeze

Addressing his followers on Instagram, he said Sowore or Obi’s presidency would have done better than Tinubu’s government.According to Freeze: “I supported Omoyele Sowore and I know a lot of youths supported Peter Obi; they probably would have to do the same thing that this government is doing. The only difference is that they would have served as the anaesthesia while this economic surge is going on.

“The youths were more connected to people like Peter Obi and what did they stand to gain from him? They would believe that whatever he is doing is in their best interest.

“The suffering might not have been anyway better, the only thing I believe is that a younger president like Omoyele Sowore or Peter Obi will gain the confidence of Nigerians in Diaspora who want to invest in the country.

“The confidence many youths would have given Peter Obi or Omoyele Sowore is what is lacking in this government.

Source: BBC

In other news – Anambra govt officials visit markets as campaign to end sit-at-home begins

The Anambra State Government has begun a campaign to end the infamous sit-at-home order which has crippled business activities in the state every Monday.

 

Anambra State Government

In the latest move, government officials serving in the Governor Chukwuma Soludo administration have been deployed to various markets to boost the confidence of traders and to encourage them to open their shops. Read more

Continue Reading

Nigeria Breaking News

Anambra govt officials visit markets as campaign to end sit-at-home begins

Published

on

Anambra State Government

The Anambra State Government has begun a campaign to end the infamous sit-at-home order which has crippled business activities in the state every Monday. In the latest move, government officials serving in the Governor Chukwuma Soludo administration have been deployed to various markets to boost the confidence of traders and to encourage them to open their shops.

Chief of Staff to the Governor, Mr Ernest Ezeajughi; Special Adviser on Trade and Markets, Chief Evarist Uba; and his Security counterpart, AVM Ben Chiobi Rtd. on Monday, moved round major markets in the state on the mission.Addressing market leaders in Awka, Ezeajughi, who led the team, told traders who opened their shops to encourage others to do same.

“Government has decided to provide maximum security across markets and had concluded arrangements with financial institutions across the state to open for business as well.

“Government will do everything possible to ensure full return of business on Mondays is achieved.

“We warn any market leadership that would sabotage the government’s present efforts towards achieving a boosted economic growth and stability to take caution because they will be seriously sanctioned,” he said.

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, NSCDC, Anambra State Command, had previously stated that operatives have been deployed to banks to safeguard them.

Source: Dailypost

In other news – Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu worked against APC in 2023

Alhaji Kehinde Olaosebikan, a former Chief Press Secretary to former governor of Oyo State, Alhaji Lamidi Onanolapo Adesina, has said the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, worked against the All Progressives Congress, APC, during the 2023 presidential election. Olaosebikan said this in a statement on his Facebook page at the weekend.

Adebayo Adelabu

 

Adelabu, who was the gubernatorial candidate of Accord in 2023, is the minister representing Oyo State in Tinubu’s cabinetOlaosebikan. Read more

Continue Reading

Trending