Corned beef and vegetables make a hearty weeknight meal. Remember to save the leftovers for sandwiches the next day!
– 1.5kg piece uncooked corned (pickled) silverside, rinsed
– 1 onion
– 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped, leaves included
– 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
– 1 bulb garlic, halved
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tsp black peppercorns
– 1 tsp cloves
– 50g butter, chopped
– 25g plain flour
– 1 1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
– 1/4 cup (60ml) pouring cream
– 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
– 1 bunch Dutch (baby) carrots, peeled, cooked, to serve
– 1 bunch baby turnips (see notes), cooked, to serve
– 250g baby green beans, trimmed, cooked to serve
Place meat in a large saucepan, add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Drain. Wipe pan clean and return meat with onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, 1 tsp salt and enough water to cover by 5cm. Simmer, partially covered, over medium heat for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Set aside.
Strain the cooking liquid into a clean saucepan.
Heat butter in a pan over low-medium heat. Stir in flour. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in 2 cups strained cooking liquid. Return to heat and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Add cream and bring to a boil. Add parsley and mustard.
Slice meat. Serve with cooked vegetables and sauce.
source – cooking365coza