A homestyle Thai dish to warm the belly and soothe a weeknight’s hunger. Why take out when you can eat in?
* 1 tbsp coconut oil
* 90g (1/3 cup) Valcom Red Curry Paste
* 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
* 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
* 1 tsp ground turmeric
* 270ml can of coconut milk
* 8 (about 950g) chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, halved
* 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
* 250ml (1 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 3 tsp fish sauce
* 200g dried egg noodles
* 1 large lime
* Fresh bean sprouts, trimmed, to serve
* Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
* Fried shallots, to serve
4 Method / Steps
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the paste, ground coriander, curry powder and turmeric. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add half the coconut milk. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until oil separates. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
Stir the onion, stock, brown sugar, fish sauce and the remaining coconut milk into the chicken mixture. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, for 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water following the packet directions. Drain. Refresh under cold running water. Divide noodles among serving bowls.
Cut half the lime into quarters. Juice remaining lime. Add lime juice to the curry. Ladle curry over noodles. Top with the bean sprouts, coriander and shallots. Serve with lime wedges.
source – cooking365.co.za