Mexican beef mince bake recipe
This quick and easy sweet potato casserole is loaded with protein and healthy dietary fibre – and topped with just enough cheese to get the whole family lining up for seconds!
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 500g beef mince
– 1 brown onion, finely chopped
– 450g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2.5cm pieces
– 30g packet taco seasoning
– 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
– 800g can diced tomatoes
– 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
– 100g (1 cup) pre-grated Mexican cheese blend
– 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander sprigs
– 2 green shallots, thinly sliced
3 Method / Steps
Heat the oil in a large flameproof baking dish over medium-high heat. Add the beef and onion. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 8 minutes or until the beef is browned and the onion softens. Meanwhile, place the sweet potato in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on High for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain
Scatter the taco seasoning and oregano over the beef mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the tomatoes, black beans and sweet potato. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until the beans are heated through and the liquid reduces slightly.
Preheat grill on high. Scatter the cheese over the beef mixture and grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden. Season and sprinkle with the coriander and shallot to serve.
source – cooking365coza