HR/Admin Assistant Wanted – Apply Here. Requisition ID: req20147
Job Title: HR/Admin Assistant – Abuja
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in over 40 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education and General Protection. The country program has a five year strategy action plan, 2015 to 2020, that is reviewed on an annual basis. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 650 staff.
Scope of work: The Administrative Assistant will assist the Admin Manager in the day-to-day administrative requirements, functions and general office management of IRC offices.
- Ensure timely support of management of agreements for offices and housing
- Maintain proper records of all correspondence.
- Receive visitors and attend to their enquiries. This would include giving non-confidential information to visitors, employees and others within the IRC premises with regards to the IRC’s activities in Abuja and North Eastern Nigeria.
- Assist the Admin and Logistic team in facilitating arrivals and departures of staff and visitors from and back to the Abuja.
- Communication Cards/Pack: Manage the timely purchase and distribution of recharge cards for staff and organize communication packs (phone and modem) for in-coming visitors.
- Support the Travel Officer in processing payment of travel (flights and accommodation) expenses.
- Focal person for Collation and Printing of IRC Employee Identity Card.
- Ensure that all facilities are functioning well, including office supplies, electricity, maintenance and repair, internet and other communications functions. This include daily routine checks of lights-out and switching-off of appliances after close of business.
- In line with IRC policies, assist the Admin Manager in maintaining appropriate filing system for Administrative documents and ensure hard and electronic files are kept up to date.
- Assist with regular supervision of Cleaners and Cooks.
- Support the HR Officer in Identifying staffing and Internship needs in the Abuja office
- Support the HR Team in setting up for Abuja based recruitment for field positions, office and guest house assistants, cooks and cleaners. Includes preparing required documents, advertising the position, tracking open positions and organizing the interview process.
- Support the HR Officer in opening email address, enrolling staff in insurance as relevant, completing and maintaining personnel files in Abuja office
- Support the HR Team in tracking timesheets, accrued time off, use of vacation, R&R and sick days.
- Debrief outgoing employees and complete end-of-assignment procedures
Position Reports to: Admin Manager
Other Internal and/or external contacts.
Internal: HR Officer, Admin Officer, Supply Chain and Finance Staff
Education: Bachelor degree/Equivalent in a relevant field
Admin/Logistics qualifications highly desirable
Work Experience: Approximately 2-3 years of relevant experience
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Professional Administration experience preferably with an INGO.
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to details.
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity.
- Team work skills.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Working knowledge of various MS applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access) and standard windows applications
Language Skills: Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communications skills. This job description can be modified at any time according to changes in the IRC activities or in the context
Working Environment: The IRC is a team-work environment and requires a person who will work with colleagues from many cultural backgrounds, understand and contribute to the organization’s goals, work well as a member of a group/team, and respect the thoughts and opinions of others in the team.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.