Prepare a basic beef, lamb or chicken stew, and top off with dumplings in the last 15 minutes, for a filling and warming meal.
– 240g self-raising flour (500 ml)
– 4 ml salt
– 10 ml dried mixed herbs
– Braai Spice
– 250 ml milk
– 120 ml sunflower oil
– Measure the flour, salt and herbs into a mixing bowl.
– Grind on some braai spice, using your discretion as to the amount.
– Mix the milk and oil together and pour onto the flour, bringing together to a soft dough.
– Spoon tablespoons of the mixture, gently and close to each other, on top of the rapidly simmering cooked stew. – – Cook for 15 minutes, with the pot lid on all the time, without lifting to check!
Hints & Tips
– Add in 125 ml grated cheddar cheese and 10 ml dry mustard powder to the dry ingredients for a variation in flavour.
– A pork stew would be great with this dumpling recipe flavoured with grated peeled apple and a dash of ground cloves, instead of the mixed herbs and braai spice.
source – cooking365coza