Make a batch of these typically SA style rusks. They’re great to take on holidays, days out and enjoy at home too.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour
SERVES – Makes approx 72 rusks
– 1 x 397g Tin Condensed milk
– 500ml Milk
– 375ml Choice Butter or Brick Margarine
– 125ml Sugar
– 1,5kg Self Raising Flour
– 10ml Cream of Tartar
– 3ml Salt
* Preheat the oven to 180°C.
* Grease 3 small loaf tins (18 x 8cm).
* Heat the condensed milk, milk and butter/margarine and sugar together. Stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat.
* Sift the flour, cream of tartar and salt together. Add this to the lukewarm milk mixture and mix to form a dough. Knead for 10 minutes.
* Roll into little oblong balls and pack into the rusk tins.
* Bake for about 1 hour. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Break apart and place on wire racks. Dry out in a very low oven.
Hints & Tips
Avoid mistakes always pre-measure all ingredients when baking.
Source – cooking365.co.za